CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER–
Old City Cemetery Cleaning (E. Vine St. and S. Maney)
Saturday, May 11, 2019 9:00 am-11:30am
Volunteer opportunity– We need your help!
CANCELLED DUE TO WEATHER
Well, let’s try again and hope the weather cooperates this time! Do you have a few hours to help us clean some of the gravestones/obelisks at Murfreesboro’s 1820 Old City Cemetery? Please join us on Saturday, May 11, 9am to 11:30am to help us safely clean the endangered gravestones. It is on the National Register of Historic Places but has also been named one of Tennessee’s most endangered historic sites by the Tennessee Historical Commission.
We are adults of varying ages and backgrounds and we welcome you to be a part of this important project. Due to safety issues, this opportunity is for adults only (18 years +). We will train you (easy!) and we furnish all cleaning supplies Please let us know if you are able to volunteer by emailing us at RCASTennessee@gmail.com or by messaging us through our Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/rcastennessee
In case of rain or other weather-related issues (e.g., high winds, too wet ground conditions, etc.) we will post a cancellation on all RCAS social media. Thank you for helping preserve and protect this historic and sacred space.
We look forward to seeing you at our next cleaning! We have a good time together cleaning the stones in the cemetery. It feels good to rescue and help preserve and protect these neglected and damaged historic gravestones. Due to the nature of the cemetery and stones, only adults are permitted for cleanings.
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION– PLEASE READ:
A. Please RSVP
So we may bring the required amount of supplies and equipment, please RSVP at RCASTennessee@gmail.com or call 615-995-2979 if you can join us!
B. General Information: What to expect on a cleaning day
1. The Old City Cemetery is on the 300 block of E. Vine St. in downtown Murfreesboro right off S. Maney. There is plenty of street parking out front and there is also a very nice parking lot directly across the street.
2. We are adults of varying ages and backgrounds, from college-age to senior citizens. Due to safety issues and the degradation of the stones, only adults 18 years of age and above may participate.
3. Please try to arrive no later than the scheduled start time . We will have you check in, sign a required waiver form, and we provide a brief training session. You are welcome to participate even if you cannot stay the whole time.
4. We provide all the cleaning supplies and equipment. We have a certain procedure that we follow using water and a safe, non-damaging bio solution called D2, which is specially formulated to clean and also treat cemetery stones and stone structures. We have water for the cleanings supplied by the City via a “water wagon.”
5. Wear old clothes, layers are suggested for weather changes, and wear closed-toed shoes. Your shoes may get a little wet from wet grass if it rained the night before.
6. Bring a hat and drinking water and any other personal items that you may need such as snacks, sunglasses, sunscreen, bug spray, etc. We provide nitrile (medical type) gloves but you may choose to wear your own gloves–they will get wet. Most of us don’t wear gloves. Bring a folding chair, mat, or blanket to sit on for breaks.
7. Bathrooms are available about one block away at the Bradley Academy. The Bradley Academy is one of our Parks and Recreation partners; the staff are aware of our group working in the cemetery and we are most welcome to use their facilities. You may also choose to drive to the McDonalds or elsewhere close by, such as downtown or Broad St.
8. Cleanings are not strenuous, but please feel free to take breaks.
We are happy to answers any questions: Please feel free to email, message, or call 615-995-2979.
C. Why RCAS Uses D/2 Solution:
After we dry clean the stones with soft brushes and plastic/wood scrapers, we then clean them with water. We also apply D/2, which is a safe cleaner and a safe biocide which kills lichens, mold, mildew, and other organic growth on and in the stone. It keeps working for months after applied. It is the preferred and trusted solution of professional architectural, cemetery, and monument conservators. It is the leader in safety and produces longer lasting results than all other cleaners. It contains no bleach or acids and won’t leave behind salts that damage stone. D/2 has been successfully used to clean millions of buildings and monuments. It is used on the White House and on gravestones in the national cemeteries, including Arlington Cemetery.
FOR GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE OLD CITY CEMETERY PROJECT, HOVER OVER “PROJECTS” ON THE MENU AT THE TOP OF THE WEBSITE PAGE AND THEN CLICK ON “OLD CITY CEMETERY PROJECT”